Pascua Yaqui Community Hub

Families Reconnected

The Pascua Yaqui Tribe strives to strengthen families and protect children whenever possible. There are many resources available to assist children and their families, many of which are offered by the Pascua Yaqui Tribe’s Social Services Department as well as other departments. These resources are available in the New Pascua and Guadalupe communities, and are also available in many situations to assist Tribal children and parents who live outside of those communities.

Unfortunately, there are times when children may have been temporarily removed from their home for their safety and wellbeing. When this happens, the child is placed with a foster family under the care of Child Protective Services (CPS). CPS then works with the family and their child to ensure that they receive appropriate care, counseling, and resources to address the situation(s) that lead to the children being removed in the first place. A child welfare case is also filed in court at the time of removal so that a judge can monitor the family’s progress and make sure that the appropriate resources are being offered. All of this is done with the goal of reunifying the family whenever possible.

Sometimes, a child is not able to be reunified with his/her parents as part of a child welfare case. When that happens, another individual, very often a relative, may petition the court to become a permanent guardian for the child. This allows the child to remain in a stable family environment

The videos and links below provide a helpful overview of the child welfare and guardianship process:

Informational Documents

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if I need help with counseling for myself or my child?

Contact Pascua Yaqui Health at 520-879-6000, or Pascua Yaqui Social Services at 520-883-5060

What do I do if I am struggling but don’t know what to ask for?

Contact Pascua Yaqui Social Services at 520-883-5060

What do I do if I need help in getting a food box?

Contact Pascua Yaqui Social Services at 520-883-5060

What do I do if I need help with employment?

Contact T.E.R.O. at 520-879-5669

What do I do if I want to file for guardianship or want a relative to file for guardianship of my children?

Contact Pascua Yaqui Social Services at 520-883-5060. Also contact the Pascua Yaqui Tribal Court at 520-879-6276 to submit court paperwork to start the guardianship process.

What do I do if I want the help of a licensed lay advocate or attorney?

Contact the Pascua Yaqui Tribal Court at 520-879-6288 for a list of available attorneys and/or information about Pascua Yaqui Legal Services

What do I do if my child has been removed by state-based DCS?

The Tribe’s ultimate goal is to protect children and families, and to ensure that children are able to grow up knowing their culture, history, and language. Resources and support are available to assist you as a result of the Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA). In a number of situations, the case can be moved out of State court and into Pascua Yaqui Tribal Court. Contact Pascua Yaqui Social Services at 520-883-5060, and the Pascua Yaqui Attorney General’s Office at 520-883-5106 for more information.